The earth is considered the only planet in the universe that supports life. The environment consists of all living things that live on this earth. Whether they live on land or water they are part of the environment. The environment also includes air, water, sunlight, plants, animals, etc. Healthy environment maintains the nature’s balance as well as it helps in growing, nourishing and developing all the living things on the earth. We truly cannot understand the real worth of the environment. But we can estimate some of their importance that can help us to understand its importance. It plays a vital role in keeping living things healthy in the environment.
World environment day is celebrated on 5th June of each year. It provides shelter, food, water and all necessary things to people. If we talk about the benefits, then the environment gives us countless benefits that we can’t repay in our entire life. As they are connected with the forest, trees, animals, water, and air. The forest and trees filter the air and absorb harmful gases. Plants purify water, reduce the chances of flood maintain natural balance and many others.
While environmental pollution or degradation is most commonly associated with the activities of humans, the fact is that environments are also constantly changing over time. With or without the impact of human activities, some ecosystems degrade over time to the point where they cannot support the life that is “meant” to live there. The activity of humans, which causes environmental degradation, is pollution, defective environmental policies, chemicals, greenhouse gases, global warming, ozone depletion, etc.
The Environmental Science will aware you about the Environment, Environmental Pollution and its conservation. Pollution of environment occurs by combustion of fossil fuels and other sources has indeed enabled many technological advancements and social-economic growth which otherwise may be impossible. However, it simultaneously creates many environmental concerns which can threaten the sustainability of our ecosystem. The use of fossil fuels is one of the major sources of worldwide environmental pollution, the green house effect and solidification of both soil and water. Also, the rising prices of oil and gas and potential shortage in future lead to concern about the security of energy supply needed to sustain our economic growth.
Environmental Issues are related to human impact on the living environment, habitats, land use and natural resources. This list shows some of the main known environmental issues by major topic title-
- Biodiversity (conservation of biological diversity)
- Climate change(encompasses “global warming“, greenhouse effect, loss of glaciers, climate refugees, climate justice, equity, etc)
- Conservation (nature and animal conservation, etc.)
- Deforestation by fire or others
- Environmental degradation
- Global Warming
- Intensive farming
- Land degradation
- Nuclear power, waste and pollution
- Ozone depletion (CFCs, Montreal Protocol)
- Pollution(air, water, land, toxins, light, point source and non-point source, use of coal/gas/etc., reclaimed land issues)
- Population issues
- Toxic chemicals
Conservation of environment
In current time all of us have realized how important it is to save environment for our own survival. The term ‘conservation’ of environment relates to activities which can provide individual or commercial benefits, but at the same time, prevent excessive use leading to environmental damage. Here is a list of steps to save environment-
- Plant trees. They will help to absorb excess carbon dioxide.
- Avoid unnecessary or wasteful packaging of products.
- Use a compost bin. This can be used to recycle waste food and other biodegradable materials.
- Harvesting of rain water.
- Reuses carry bags.
- Dispose the waste after separating them into biodegradable and non-biodegradable waste material.
- Don’t burn any waste, especially plastics, for the smoke may contain polluting gases.
- Use unleaded petrol and CNG, and keep the engine properly tuned and serviced, so that vehicle runs efficiently.
- Walk or cycle because walking is free; cycling can help to keep you fit.
- Judicious use of fertilizers, intensive cropping, proper drainage and irrigation.
- Rotation of crops.
- Composting organic solid waste for use as manure.
Our Government did not work hard to reduce environmental issues and they did not take the necessary steps to prevent it from worsening. For this reason, all mankind is paying for that with their lives because, as we know, for each mistake we have to pay.