Himachal Pradesh which is termed as the ‘Land of the Gods’, is a delightful treat to nature lovers. This is a picture-perfect state which impresses the visitors with its scenic hill stations, snow-covered mountains, quaint villages, lush valleys, unblemished nature, diverse flora and fauna and abundant trekking trails. The meaning of Himachal is ‘The land of snows’; and this meaning is enough to give you a basic idea of what to expect in Himachal Pradesh. The state is located in the western Himalayas. Himachal Pradesh is not just a state, it’s a veritable heaven for all the nature lovers, backpackers and adventurers. Currently Himachal Pradesh is known as a destination for “all seasons and all reasons”.
Here we are going to discuss about the top places to visit in the ‘Abode of Snow‘: Himachal Pradesh:
1.Kullu Manali, the famous hill station: One of the most beautiful places to visit in Himachal Pradesh is Kullu and Manali. If you are looking for green mountains and fresh air among the snow-covered ranges then Kullu Manali is the perfect holiday destination for you. There are lots of beautiful places to visit in Manali which can make your trip a better one. This place is perfect for the adventure junkies and the honeymooners. This hill station has been acknowledged for being the perfect destination to visit in Himachal Pradesh.
Ideal duration for Kullu and Manali: 4-5 days
Best time to visit: May- July and if you want to witness snowfall then November-January.
How can you reach: Chandigarh is the nearest airport to Kullu, which is almost 252 Kms away. Also the nearest railhead is in Chandigarh, which is 270 Kms away. AndKullu is Kullu approximately 570 Kms from Delhi via road.
Things you cando in Kullu and Manali:
- You can indulge at Solang Valley
- You can go for camping, trekking, angling and for river rafting in Kullu.
- You can visit the Manali Bird Sanctuary
- There are beautiful old temples to visit.
Some of the nearby famous places of Kullu and Manali: Rohtang, Solang, Malana, Manikaran, Khirganga etc.
- The capital of Himachal Pradesh Shimla: Shimla is one of the most famous hill stations of Northern India, which is the perfect mix of Indian glory with British sophistication. The enchanting, eye catching beauty of Shimla has made British declare the land as their summer capital. This hill station provides the visitors breath taking views of the snow-capped Himalayan ranges. With rich greenery around and several lakes, Simla welcomes the visitors all over the year. of course, Also you can visit Shimla in the winter when it’s ‘below zero’ temperature. Undoubtedly Shimla is one of the best tourist places in Himachal Pradesh.
Ideal duration for Shimla: 3-4 days.
Best time to visit Shimla: To witness the lush green grasses which brighten up the valley, May –July is considered as theideal time. And if you want to witness snowfall then you can visit during November-January.
How to reach Shimla: Kalka, is the nearest railhead which is connected to Chandigarh and Delhi by regular trains. Chandigarh is at a distance of 112kilometers from Shimla and Manali at 260 kilometers and Delhi is at 343 kilometers from Shimla.
Things you can do in Shimla:
- Shimla is famous for various shopping malls. You can fulfill your shopping desire at the Mall Road in Shimla.
- You can visit to the Viceregal Lodge to appreciate the British elegance.
- You can go for trekking in jakhu hill and also you can visit to Lord Hanuman’s temple here.
Some of the nearby famous places of Shimla: Mashobra Tattapani, Solan etc.
3.The gateway to Himachal Kasauli: Kasauli is one of the most serene places to visit in Himachal in June. Kasauli is located at an altitude of 1927 meters and like a few other places in Himachal Pradesh, Kasauli reflects the influence of colonial rule. It is almost on the outskirts of Haryana and Punjab. well connected by roadways. The views from Kasauli are spectacular.
Ideal duration for Kasauli: 3-4 days
Best time to visit Kasauli: November – March is the ideal time to visit Kasauli and if you want to enjoy the snowfall then December – January would be the perfect time.
How can you reach Kasauli: The nearest airport is in Chandigarh, which is 70 km away. And the nearest railway station is Sonwara which is 4km away from Kasauli. This hill station is 293 km from New Delhi and it takes about 7 hours to reach.
Things you can do in Kasauli:
- You can visit the famous Anglican Church which was built during the British era.
- You can go for trekking on the lower mall which will lead you to the Monkey point which is in the shape of aLord Hanuman’s foot.
- A must watch thing here is the sunrise and the sunset point where you can witness the most beautiful sky.
- If you are fond of walking and exploring the nature then you can go for the Gilbert Trail
Nearby famous places of Kasauli: Solan, Parwanoo.
- The residence of Dalai Lama-:Dharamshala is a place which has to be on your list of best Himachal Pradesh destinations. Dharamshala is brimming with architectural and cultural attractions. There area number of cafes, restaurants and shops catering to its extensive multicultural Indian and Tibetan communities. This place is famous not only for its lovely climate but also you can witness here that how multicultural Indian community lives in harmony with the Indo Tibetan community.
Ideal duration for Dharamshala: 2-3days are enough.
Best time to visit Dharamshala: May –July is the ideal time to visit Dharamshala and if you want to see snowfall then you can visit during November-January.
How to reach Dharamshala: The nearest major railway station to Dharamshala is at Pathankot, which is 85 kilometers away. Dharamshala is almost 520 kilometers from Delhi and Delhi is well connected with Dharamshala. It will take 12 hours if you drive from Delhi via Chandigarh to reach Dharamshala.
Things you can do in Dharamshala:
- You can enjoy a boat ride across the Dal Lake and also witness the royal the Kangra Fort.
- You can visit the Bhagsunath Temple, which is dedicated to Lord Shiva and at the same time you can enjoy the cascading Bhagsu Fall there.
- If you want then you can visit various monasteries, the Dalai Lama Temple Complex, Kangra Art Museum and witness the tea plantation on the foothills of Kangra valley.
Some of the nearby famous places of Dharamshala: Khajjiar, Bir Billing, Palampur
5.An adventure seeker’s paradise- Bir Billing: Bir Billing is the perfect place for you, if you are an adventure seeker. Bir is a small village which situated on the western side of the Himachal Pradesh and also it us blessed with some refreshing climate. This is one of the best places for those who are fond of adventure.
Ideal duration for Bir Billing: 2-3 days are sufficient.
Best time to visit Bir Billing: May-July is the ideal time.
How can you reach Bir Billing: The nearest airport to Bir is Dharamshala airport (in Gaggal) which is almost 30-45 minutes south of Dharamshala. You can take the train to Pathankot. Then you can take a taxi from Pathankot to Bir. It will take 4-5 hours. If you take a bus from Delhi then it will take 12-14 hours to reach Bir.
Things to do in Bir Billing:
- You can visit the gorgeous Buddhism monasteries in Bhattu, and Chauntra Bhattu colony which is situated at center of the forest.
- Also you can visit the Palampur Tea Cooperative where you will get the chance to attend a free tour to see the tea making process.
A nearby famous place of Bir Billing: Dharamshala
6.To get your spirits high- Malana: Malana is the place which you must visit in Himachal Pradesh in the month of August. It is located near the Kullu Valley. This place offers mesmerizing views of the Deo Tiba and Chandrakhani crests and Deo Tiba. This is literally one of the best tourist places in Himachal Pradesh. This is an ideal place for the Solo Travelers, trekkers and anyone who wants to disconnect themselves from the world.
Ideal Duration for Malana: 3-4 Days
Best time to visit Malana: The best time to visit Malana is during May-August.
How can you reach Malana:The nearest airport to Malanais Kullu. Malanais approximately 378 km away from Delhi by road and it takes 10hrs. The closest railhead to Malana is Shimla.
Things you can do in Malana:
- You can enjoy the beautiful weather of this gorgeous village which is known as the little Greece of India.
- You can go for trekking through the green forests with some mesmerizing views.
- You can also visit the pilgrim cenre Manikaran, which has a hot water spring.
- If you want then you can be a part of the various regional festivals in Malana village, with its beautiful culture and customs.
Some of the nearby famous places of Malana: Kasol, Tosh, Manikaran.
7.Mini Switzerland of India- Dalhousie: Dalhousie (the name of the place) was named after Lord Dalhousie, who was the British governor in 19th century. This hill station is spread across five hills. The varying altitudes of the land have a huge range of green vegetation which in cludesoak, pine and deodar. You can visit Dalhousie any time in the year but it looks more stunning in winter, when the entire hill station is covered in the white sheet of snow. Dalhousie allows the adventures to do various exciting outdoor activities such as: river rafting, trekking, kayaking, canoeing and camping.
Ideal duration for Dalhousie: 2-3days
Best time to visit Dalhousie: April to July is the best time to visit Dalhousie, thought you can visit Dalhousie all over the year.
How can you reach Dalhousie: The nearest airport from Dalhousie is Dharamsala which is almost 5 hours away and the nearest railhead is Pathankot’s Chakki Bank, which is 71 km from Dalhousie. After that you have to take a cab to visit Dalhousie which will take around 10 hours.
Things you can do in Dalhousie:
- You can enjoy the scenic beauty of nature in the valley of Khajjiar.
- You can go for a gentle walk or you can go for trekking in the beautiful terrain in Ganji Pahadi Walk, Dainkund walk and Bakrota Walk.
- You can visit the famous St. John’s Church, which is the oldest church of the town.
Some nearby famous places of Dalhousie: Khajjiar Dharamshala, Kalatop.
- Trek to your heart’s delight- Kasol: Kasol is located on the banks of Parvati. This place is known as the ‘Little Israel of India’. The stunning landscape of the mountains, scenic beauty of the waterfalls, lush valleys and the trekking routes makethis place a paradise for the nature lovers, especially for the trekkers. Kasol is one of the best hill stations in Himachal Pradesh which you must visit.
Ideal duration for Kasol: 3 Days
Best time to visit Kasol: May and June is the best time to visit Kasol.
How can youreach Kasol: The nearest airport from Kasol is Kullu which takes about 3 hours and the nearest railhead from Kasol is Shimla. You can take a bus from Delhi to Shimla and after that you can take a cab.
Things you can do in Kasol:
- You can go for trekking to Kheerganga, where you can experience the hot water spring.
- Also you can go for trekking in Parvati valley, which is an ideal trail for trekking. Parvati valley is also known as the ‘Stoner’s Paradise’.
Some nearby famous places of Kasol: Manikaran, Malana, Khirganga, Tosh.
- The last village of India-Chitkul:Chitkul is located in the Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh. This village isn’t that much common among the travelers yet. So if you want to enjoy the scenic beauty in thecalm and peaceful environment then Chitkul is a must visit place for you. The scenic beauty of this small village will take your heart.
Ideal duration for Chitkul: 1-2 days
Best time to visit Chitkul: March – April and also September – October
How can you reach Chitkul: The nearest airport from Chitkul is Bhuntar Airport which is 224 km away. And the nearest railway station is Shimla toy train station which is 247 km away from Chitkul.
Things to do in Chitkul:
- You can visit the Mathi Temple.
- You can sit by the Baspa River and relax in the calm atmosphere.
Some nearby famous places of Chitkul: SolangValley, Sangla.
10. For all the adventure lovers- Solang Valley: Solang valley one of the best tourist places in Himachal Pradesh. The Solang Valley is situated at 14 kilometers northwest of Manali. This is the best tourist destinations for the nature lovers, adventure lovers and also for those who love skydiving. This valley is on the road between Rohtang and Manali. Every year Solang valley attracts a lot of tourists. During winter the Solang valley is completely covered in snow.
Ideal duration for Solang valley: 3 – 4 hours
Best time to visit Solang valley: December to January, as the entire valley is covered in snow during this time.
How can your each Solang valley: You can take NH21 or a bus from neighbouring states. The nearest airport from Solang Valley is Bhuntar Airport, which is 63 km away. And the nearest railway station is Joginder Nagar railway station which is 175 km away.
Things to do in Solang valley:
- You can do zorbing and paragliding here.
Some nearby famous places of Solang valley: Rohtang, Manali.
Final words: Himachal Pradesh is a land of diversity, when it comes to the kind of tourists who visit this State. If you are a traveller who wants to explore the snowy northern states, then Himachal Pradesh is a heaven for you. There are many beautiful and incredible places to visit in Himachal Pradesh which will definitely take your heart.